What is "NORMAL"?

Everyone talks about the "new normal" after you lose a child. I don't believe "normal" will ever return to my house after my 18 year old son, Max, was killed in a car crash on 8/6/10. "Normal Died With Max", and this blog is about the life I have without him.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Max Lives because of Easter






Easter has grown to be a very important holiday for me.  I have been a Christian for a long while, and I always understood the significance of Easter and the sacrifice that Jesus made for me.  I understood it in my head and the best I could in my heart. 

And then Max was killed.  And suddenly, I understood on a much deeper level. 

Now I understand that because of Easter, my flawed-wonderful-sweet-arrogant son has his body in a cemetery and his soul LIVES in heaven with Jesus.  I understood it for myself, but now, I understand it because one of my children is safe in eternity because of it. 

Since Max, I've had several deaths that have impacted me:  my grieving-mom friend Kim, my babe-chick sister Jeanie, my pappaw, my grandmother ... and with each death, I grieve and mourn and also long for heaven just that much more. 

This season as I approach the 4 year mark of Max's death, I marvel at how deeply the Easter season affects me and gives me peace and happiness.  Good Friday. The darkness.  The agony.  The sorrow.  Holy Saturday.  When hope seems dead.  Mourning continues through shock.  Resurrection Sunday.  When *everything* changed.  Jesus ROSE FROM THE DEAD.  For real.  Now, I can ALWAYS have hope, even through my darkest sorrow.  Because of Jesus.  Because of the salvation He offers.

 My family will one day be whole again - on that day - when we all meet Jesus face-to-face when our time has come to an end on this earth.  Jesus is Risen, He is Risen Indeed.

1 comment:

Terri Williams said...

Well said, Pam! I appreciate your transparency.