What is "NORMAL"?

Everyone talks about the "new normal" after you lose a child. I don't believe "normal" will ever return to my house after my 18 year old son, Max, was killed in a car crash on 8/6/10. "Normal Died With Max", and this blog is about the life I have without him.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Small Things that are BIG to me!

I have been blessed this week as I grieve coming up to the second Christmas without Max.

Monday I had a girlfriend over to help me finish scrapbooking the cards we received when Max died.  I am so happy to get this project wrapped up.  While she was here, she fixed the closet rod in his bedroom that had somehow fallen, taking all of his hanging clothes down to the floor.  A very small act, that neither Todd nor I could do because it didn't just involve fixing a closet rod ... it involved spending time in Max's room, handling all his clothes that still smell a little like him, moving things around down there - VERY BIG things for a grieving parent, but a small thing for my friend to handle.  Thanks Carol.

Tonight, we went to dinner with a group of friends we see about twice a year "in person" - we see many on facebook often.  And one of the gals bought our dinner, as she did last year at this time.  It was a small gesture, but BIG to us.  Thanks Angela.

Those small acts say to me as a grieving mama - "I cannot solve your grief, but I can do this small thing for you, to show you that I am still thinking about you and love you".  You can't get much bigger than that.

No comments: